Did You Know?
1. Did you know that the Manatee is related to the Elephant
2. Mother Manatees keep thier babies in what is called a Nursery Group.
3. One of the reason that Manatees get hurt is because they are attracted to the hum of the motor on the power boats.
4. Manatees are Herbivores and eat mostly floating plants.
5. Manatees were once mistaken for Mermaids by lonely sailors.
6. 1967 - The Manatee was listed as an endangered species
7. 1972 - It was protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act
8. 1973 - The Manatee was protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) treaty.
9. 1978 - the State of Florida became a refuge for the Manatee
10. A good place to read about the Florida Manatee is this link here -
Eco Florida - your guide to exploring natural Florida.